||DDD Head Quarter, Istanbul
||6 months Fixed-Term contract
|| Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Please visit www.dunyadoktorlari.org.tr to learn more.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities Afrin provinces and Idlib to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Istanbul Head Office, the Medical Coordinator is under the line management of the Deputy General Director for programs. The Medical Coordinator is responsible for the development of the DDD’s strategy related to health and for the quality of the health programmes all along the project cycle, from assessment, to implementation, monitoring and evaluation. S/he works closely with the coordination team in assessing, implementing and following-up all health programs in Turkey and Syria.
- Technical Guidance
- Project Management
- Team Management
- External Communication
- Other related tasks
- Function Details
- Supervise the implementation of health services in the project areas guided by project objectives and goals;
- Provide technical oversight to ensure integration of health activities with other sectors;
- Collaborate with the Deputy General Director for programs and Program coordinators for Turkey and Syria to identify and develop new program opportunities and consider program expansion into new localities;
- Contributing in providing technical inputs within project proposals, budgets, work plan, procurement plan, staffing plan,
- In conjunction with the MEAL team, adapt tools for data collection, analysis and reporting; take lead in interpreting collected data in health and corrective action;
- Develop quantitative and qualitative reports of health project activities for different grants in line with appropriate reporting guidelines;
- S/he supports technically the medical employees, provides support to programme coordinators and field coordinators for recruiting technical staff and supervises technical training activities on the basis of identified needs.
- Define, monitor and update the medical content of the DDD country policy, medical and health strategy, annual plan and budget
- Translate the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed to meet the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk; ensure the achievement of objectives and goals
- Developing SoPs and tools related to programme activities and staff support in the field
- Being responsible for reviewing and supporting other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics department) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase.
- S/he ensures that medical programme(s) are in line with DDD’s health policy and monitors them for quality and efficacy. Ensure that all services are based on DDD standards, donor requirements, and WHO guidelines and protocols;
- Monitor the healthcare situation, together with the medical team and partners’ medical focal person;
- Participate in health need assessments, as requested, and contribute to the development/review/upgrade of the medical activities according to the needs;
- Provide continuous input to the Coordination team to ensure that the different components of the program are consistent and in line with the health needs of the population;
- Responsible to ensure that medical/clinical services are implemented in good quality; and according to the DDD’s protocols;
- Closely monitor the needs of the partners and identify relevance/gap of support provided by DDD;
- Propose any revision or update of medical protocols, service provision and partnerships;
- Work with health team to ensure that health program supplies are of acceptable standards;
- Conduct field visits to project sites for direct implementation and partners according to the need, or as requested;
- Ensure close collaboration with the DDD’s different services (e.g. MHPSS) and other implementing partner/s;
- Contribute to the project proposals development in terms of needs, etc.
- In close collaboration with the Syria Programme Coordinator, participating in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervising the associated processes: recruitment, (including identifying gaps, drafting JDs, and participating in recruitment, as necessary), training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication). Coaching and technically supporting programme and medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities.
- Maintain strategic relations with health cluster partners, UN agencies and other medical NGOs and organisations, through meetings, training, workshops, etc.;
- Collect data, indicators, surveys and assessments according to the programmes needs; and provide input and contribute to analysis;
- Instant information sharing with the line and technical manager on any context updates;
- Receive morbidity data of direct implemented services on weekly basis; review; analyse and submit to medical coordination team;
- Receive monthly reports from medical referents and pharmacists;
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly Sitreps;
- Provide a monthly report, detailing activities done, supervision, training provided, assessments undertaken etc.;
- Submit minutes of the staff meetings done with the teams;
- Contributing at technical level to donor reporting related to project activities;
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
- Participation in assessments/service mapping, where and when necessary;
- Keep the team informed on any issues related to logistics needs for the medical teams in the field;
- Support operational organisation of field trips; and DDD and partners programs/activities;
- Any other related DDD tasks as assigned by supervisor/line manager.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Expected profile
Knowledge & Qualification
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or Clinical Discipline;
- Medical Doctor – Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine (MBChB, MBBS) is required;
- 3-5 years of experience in managing health programs in emergency settings
- International experience required
- Previous experience in the Middle East
- Knowledge of managed healthcare systems, medical quality assurance, quality improvement and risk management;
- Insight into health services integrated programming
- Dedication to patient safety and quality of healthcare
- Experience writing proposals and managing information related to large scale emergency response and reporting to donors;
- Experience in conducting assessments, analysing and interpreting health data and writing reports to high technical standard
- Ability to effectively present information (written and verbally) and respond appropriately to questions from senior management, HQ and counterparts;
- Experience and understanding of key intuitional donors’ policies and guidelines and strategies;
- Demonstrated management, organisational and interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing and working with multinational staff
- Strong participatory leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate and counsel staff working in a complex emergency environment
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Ability to meaningfully contribute to decision making process
- Strong leadership and communication skills, ability to lead and coordinate processes across several departments;
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Demonstrated analytical, motivational, communication, project conceptualisation and planning skills
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, flexible and able to handle pressure
- Demonstrated experience of working closely with support functions on activity and procurement planning
- Required: English (oral and written)
- Preferred: Turkish, Arabic;
IT & Equipment
- Good proficiency with Microsoft package
Intellectual & Physical
- Analytical thinking to evaluate different approaches/solutions for a specific environment
Strategic and Long-Term Impact
- Lead and implement the clinical direction for the organisation;
- Promote collaboration to both internal and external healthcare team members;
- Commitment to organisation’s values and vision
- Ability to lead standardisation of care
- Inspirational to the healthcare team
Communication & Information flow
- Listening skills
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels;
General Qualities required:
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- How to apply:
- To apply for the position please click here
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 25.10.2020.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.