DEPUTY GENERAL DIRECTOR – PROGRAMME
||DDD Coordination Head Office, Istanbul
|| Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in DDD Coordination Head Office, Istanbul, the Deputy General Director (Programme) reports directly to the General Director and or the President.
She/he manages directly Turkey and Syria programmes and she/he will directly supervise:
- 1 Programme Coordinator Syria
- 1 Programme Coordinator Turquey
- 1 MEAL coordinator
- 1 Grant Coordinator
- 1 MHPSS (and Protection) Coordinator
- Main Responsibilities
- Programme Coordination (Turkey and Syria)
- Team Management and Capacity Building
- Actively engage in representation activities to increase DDD visibility;
- Participate in cluster meetings at national and local level;
- Liaise with operational and institutional partners at National Level (INGOs, NGOs, Authorities), upon line manager’s request;
- Represents the organisation towards donors, partners, authorities and other stakeholders and ensure coordination of field visits (partners, donor, etc.);
- Represent DDD towards INGOs/NGOs for potential new partnerships;
- Represent DDD towards donors and other stakeholders;
- Participate in advocacy and communication operations organised by the organisation;
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the organizations with similar programs;
- Programme Coordination (35%)
- Lead DDD’s operational strategy in both Turkey and Syria, to ensure new strategic orientations are taken into consideration and are implemented at field level;
- Contribute to country strategy & annual planning with program inputs in the production of proposals;
- Coordinate all aspects related to the implementation of projects implemented by Dünya Doktorları Derneği and through partnerships. The Operations Director has the overall responsibility for financial, administrative, logistic, technical and program management of DDD Operations, in line with project proposals;
- Support the Program Coordinator for effective and efficient management of projects, consistent with the project management cycle, monitoring systems and reporting requirements (to donors & partners, among which Médecins du Monde International Network);
- Support MHPSS Coordinator to ensure that teams are delivering quality Mental Health & Psychosocial Support programmes, physiotherapy & rehabilitation support to partners; and adequate monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning requirements;
- Ensure the mission compliance within the legal framework of Dünya Doktorları Derneği;
- Ensure that security plans are followed by all field staff and updated as necessary. Coordinate the response to any security incident;
- Ensure the intervention abide by DDD mandate, values and internal rules; to local cultural and legal rules;
- Ensure good communication –coordination– information level between the various DDD Programme and team members through regular coordination and bilateral meetings;
- Regular visits to Field Offices;
- Contribute to improve DDD partnership strategy & develop, in collaboration with Field & Technical Coordinators, partnership capacity improvement plans & operational guidelines for project implementation;
- Ensure the provision of regular feedback at field level on key facts and related decision following analysis of programme performance;
- Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation in the country and at international level; and consider strategic and immediate responses in coordination with the Programme Coordinators, the General Director and DDD President;
- Lead the response to emergencies together with the Programme Coordinators involved;
- Organize coordination meetings to ensure an effective communication and cooperation between all departments;
- Act as a link between the organization and its partners ensure that partnership tools and mechanisms are in place
- Ensure DDD intervention is always respectful to DDD mandate, values and internal rules; to local cultural and legal rules and that all team members are committed to the respect of the different DDD’s policies (Code of Conduct, Anti-Abuse Policy, etc.);
- Coordination of different DDD Programs staffs through regular coordination and bilateral meetings;
- Team Management and Capacity Building (35%)
- Ensure strict application and respect of the Internal Regulation by staff under line management;
- Support and advise team in the implementation of the projects;
- Participate in the recruitment of key programme international and national staff positions;
- Concerned and aware of personal and professional evolution of each staff member, and its development within the mission;
- Propose relevant adaptation of the mission organisational chart; and contribute to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.), in collaboration with the General Director and the HR Coordinator;
- Contribute to ensure a progressive nationalisation of expatriate project positions throughout the period (action plan, milestone, etc.);
- Support staff in their management duty: coordination meetings, individual appraisals, etc.;
- Gap filling of Programme Coordinators, when necessary;
- Provide regular reporting of activities to the line manager upon his/her solicitation (coordination meeting, workshop meeting, etc.);
- Ensure that Field teams contribute to the monthly situation report (SITREP) by providing relevant data related to position and team activities ;
- Work with the reporting officer to ensure monthly situation reports (SITREP) are comprehensive and sent in a timely manner.
- Support production of proposals (mainly by defining its content at operations and technical level) and reporting towards donor and authorities, led by M&E Coordinator;
- Provide weekly security updates to your line manager when required;
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract;
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
Knowledge & Qualification
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (International Affairs, Public Policy, Social Work, etc.)
Master’s degree preferred.
Academic Background in Public Health will be a plus
- Minimum 5 years related non-profit work experience, preferably in the field of humanitarian aid and program management.
- Previous international personal or professional experience in INGO´s is mandatory.
- Experience in the Middle East would be a strong asset.
- Experience on medical programs.
- Proven managerial experience
Turkish, Arabic (oral and written) are an asset.
IT & Equipment
Proficient using of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and file sharing software;
General Qualities required:
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels, motivate others and change people’s attitudes when necessary;
- Problem-solving and negotiation skills;
- Initiative and the ability to offer new ideas;
- Organisational and planning skills;
- Personal commitment to improving your own knowledge and skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stressful situation;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Proven Project Management and Monitoring skills
- Strong communication and reporting skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programmes, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- How to apply:
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.