FINANCE COORDINATOR SYRIA
||Antakya Office – Hatay
||Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Antakya Office – Hatay, The Finance Coordinator Syria is under the line management of the Senior Finance Coordinator. The position will directly manages the Finance Officers and Finance Assistants.
- Main Responsibilities
- Internal Control
- Financial Management
- Budget Monitoring
- Financial Partnership Management
- Team Management
- Other related tasks
- Function Details
- Assist in further refinement of DDD financial procedures and guidelines; and ensures it is updated according to donor’s and Turkish national regulations;
- Ensure compliance of all financial procedures in accordance with DDD and donors’ guidelines;
- Provide support to the logistic, administration and programme department on relevant donor guidelines and requirements;
- Ensure internal financial procedures, systems, policies and controls are applied and complied with throughout the operations by all staff;
- Provide financial information to the coordinators, both proactively and on request, in order to monitor the project expenditure;
- Assist in preparing donor financial reports and requirements; and ensure that they are complied with to maximise available funding;
- Execute random audit of financial data and supporting documentation;
- Develop financial risk matrix and monitor areas of threats;
- Assist in preparation of external or internal audit, with the support of Finance Coordinator;
- Supervises the accountancy of all sites: quality of documents, respect of procedures, accounting & donor allocation;
- Ensure accuracy of financial data entered in the financial software;
- Coordinates the closure of monthly accountancy and links;
- Supervises the archiving of the accounting documents in the field and its transmission to DDD Head Quarter;
- Assist in the preparation of annual and donor budgets in coordination with the programme and other related departments;
- Monitors overall budget consumption with respect to donors’ constraints;
- Regularly update cost allocation table;
- Ensure accuracy of the financial information;
- Monitor ongoing levels of expenditure on individual programmes against budget, and provide timely advice of potential over or under-spending to the Coordination Team and the relevant Project teams;
- Ensure respective budget holders understand variance implications and advise on how to respond to and manage them effectively;
- Identification and analysis of any discrepancy and suggestion of solution;
- Financial Partnership Management
- Update and assist in further refinement of financial tools and guidelines for financial partnership management;
- Ensure the financial partnership management tool are implemented;
- Assist in the development of training plans for the partners based on assessment and identification of financial capacities to be improved.
- Supervises the overall recruitment and training of the finance department staff;
- Provide regular support to the finance teams on any accounting and financial issues;
- Provides regular evaluation to the team under his/her responsibility;
- Provide financial support, training and advice to all staff.
- Prepares monthly budget follow-up (BFU) financial report to be submitted to Senior Finance Coordinator;
- Provide minutes of finance team meeting to Finance Coordinator;
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
- Represent and actively participate in relevant team meetings;
- Report any security related issues to the line manager;
- Support operational organisation of DDD activities;
- Ability to travel and relocate, if requested;
- Any other related DDD tasks as assigned by supervisor/line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Expected profile
Knowledge & Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, a CPA License would be an advantage
- AT LEAST 5 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH MINIMUM 3 YEARS OF NGO FINANCE EXPERIENCE, MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE WOULD BE A DISTINCTIVE ADVANTAGE
- Familiarity with major donor’s financial management requirements;
- Experience in managing multi-donor project budgets;
- Required: English (oral and written);
- Preferred: Turkish & Arabic
IT & Equipment
- Proficient in computerised accounting systems and strong spreadsheet skills;
- Knowledge of SAGA is an asset;
- Good proficiency with Microsoft Office package;
Intellectual & Physical
- Analytical thinking to evaluate different approaches/solutions for a specific environment;
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment;
- Ability to seek, collect, and critically analyses data and information needed to achieve the tasks;
Communication & Information flow
- Listening skills;
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels;
General Qualities required:
- Ability to work with a team as well as to work independently;
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Organisation, planning and prioritising abilities;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- How to apply:
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.