DEPUTY GENERAL DIRECTOR (SUPPORT TEAM) – İSTANBUL
||DDD Coordination Head Office, Istanbul
||Fixed-Term (possible extension)
||Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD)/Mececins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
The Deputy General Director reports directly to the General Director. S/he manages directly the Support Services team:
- 1 Senior Finance Coordinator
- 1 Admin-HR Coordinator
- 1 Logistics Coordinator
- Punctual Support Mission (expat, short term mission)
The total number of staffs within the Support Departments is around 20 persons.
- Main Responsibilities
The position’s responsibilities include:
- Management of all legal aspects related to DDD Operations in Turkey-Syria;
- Services Support supervision and coordination;
- Internal and external control of the mission process;
- Support the legal and administrative setup of DDD;
- Regular reporting to your line-manager.
- Function Details
- Management of Legal Duties
- You represent the organization toward local authorities, and will be assisted by the Legal Officer to performed this duty;
- You ensure the application and respect of the Turkish laws within all DDD Operations in Turkey and Syria (e.g. INGO Registration, Offices Registration, Staff residency permit, Staff work permit, declaration at social security, Ministry agreement for conducting project/reporting, );
- You are in charge to ensure the organization is exempted of tax, as much as possible;
- You are the main contact to DDD Lawyer/Legal Accountant, verify and approve that all types of contract (staff, supplier, partner agreement) are conformed with local regulation;
- You properly document and fill all legal aspects, communication and process undertaken by the mission.
- SUPERVSION & COORDINATION OF SERVICES SUPPORT
- You ensure the line-management of the 3 Support Coordinators (Finance, HR-Admin, Logistics), supervise their objectives and priorities and support them to deal with critical issues;
- You ensure an effective and regular coordination of the 3 Support Departments, leading support coordination meeting and ad hoc meeting on specific thematic;
- Upon General Director specific request, you ensure punctual gap filling of Coordinator positions during critical periods (leaves, HR gap, etc.); the gap filing could concern the following positions: Finance Coordinator, HR-Admin Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator, Field Coordinator;
- You supervise the production of a mission guidelines, gathering all existing key procedures from all departments, in order to improve the overall knowledge of mission staff;
- You supervise the delivery of regular on-the-job training to Support Services staff members, in order to strengthen the capacities of the staff and foreseen the progressive nationalization of expatriate positions;
- For the specific tasks described below, you will systematically assist the General Director in:
- Finance: setup, revision and amendment of Mission Budget;
- HR: expatriate recruitment and follow-up;
- Logistics: security back-up and implementation of logistics means for security
- INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CONTROL
- You ensure on monthly basis an internal control of the respect of financial, HR and logistics process at Coordination and base level (based on existing internal procedure and check lists);
- You are in charge of the overall document filing (soft and hard copies) of the mission, and ensure mission archives are regularly and properly sent to HQ;
- You are responsible to coordinate (focal point) the preparation of all audit and evaluations, as well as capitalize all provided recommendations and ensure their implementations;
- You are in charge of piloting the periodic cost-efficiency analysis of the DDD Programs in collaboration with the Operations and Medical Coordinators;
- You are in charge of the implementation of the DDD Anti-Abuse Policy within the
- SUPPORT LEGAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE SETUP OF DDD
- In direct collaboration with the General Director and DDD Lawyer/Legal Accountant, you ensure all necessary legal steps are taken to properly structure DDD;
- You prepare the potential transfer of contracts and activities from MdM France to DDD, based on a documented analysis and HQ decision;
- You ensure the administrative management of DDD.
- You participate to the monthly situation report (SITREP) by providing progress related to your position;
- You provide regular reporting to your line manager upon his/her solicitation;
- You provide a mission report and/or handover at the end of your contract;
- Debriefing at HQ at the end of your
- Other position related tasks
- Represent and actively participate in relevant team meetings;
- Report any security related issues to the line manager;
- Support operational organisation of DDD activities;
- Ability to travel, if requested;
- Any other relevant tasks, as requested by the line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Expected profile
Knowledge & Qualification
- Relevant Degree in Administration, Business, Finance, Accounting or related field
- At least 7 years of professional experience in humanitarian context
- At least 3 years of experience as Administrative Coordinator
- Proven managerial experience and leadership
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication and reporting skills
- Experience in management of multi projects budget;
- Required: English (oral and written);
- Preferred: Turkish & French
IT & Equipment
- Proficient in computerised accounting systems and strong spreadsheet skills (Excel);
- Knowledge of SAGA is an asset;
- Good proficiency with Microsoft Office package;
Intellectual & Physical
- Analytical thinking to evaluate different approaches/solutions for a specific environment;
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment;
- Ability to seek, collect, and critically analyses data and information needed to achieve the tasks;
Communication & Information flow
- Listening skills;
- Written and spoken communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills and able to communicate with people at all levels;
- Experience in Project budgeting
- Experience in providing training and technical assistance
Communication & Information flow
- Internal and external (donor) reporting experience
General Qualities required:
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- How to apply:
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.