||Fixed Term Contract
||Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
The Head of Programs (HoP) reports directly to Syria Program Director. S/he manages directly:
- 1 Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Manager
- 1 Mental Health and Psycho-social support (MHPSS) Manager
- 1 Protection Manager
- 1 Grants Manager
- 1 Reporting Officer
In close collaboration with Syria Program Director s and the Field Coordinators, the HoP is leading program quality efforts for DDD operations in Syria, ensuring effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL), grants management, program development efforts, partnership management and meaningful integration of cross-cutting priorities.
- Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee quality programming for operations in Syria;
- Ensure overall coordination of programmes and support overall coherence and relevance of DDD response in Syria;
- Support development and integration of MEAL, Grants, MHPSS and Protection approaches for Syria operations;
- Oversee grants management for Syria operations;
- Follow up on appropriation of programmatic approaches by Field Coordinators and Field teams;
- Facilitate the coordination within the organisation at programmes and support levels;
- Supervise program development and implementation focusing meaningful integration of cross-cutting elements such as community outreach and protection mainstreaming in line with Syria Program Strategy;
- Guide qualitative partnership management approach and oversee improvement of quality of activities implemented through implementing partners;
- Support coordination efforts, harmonization efforts and exchanges of best practices between field teams.
5.1 PROGRAM QUALITY AND MONITORING EVALUATION ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEARNING (25%)
- Lead program development as well as effective monitoring of DDD Syria Program with MEAL, MHPSS, Protection and Medical staff;
- Work closely with Syria Program Director and Field Coordinators to ensure DDD Program inside Syria meets quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices;
- Provide guidance and work closely with coordination and field staff to ensure quality programming, delivery, and learning initiatives;
- Work with Medical, MHPSS and Protection staff to ensure that technical aspects are integrated in a coherent manner into strategic and operational planning and implementation;
- Facilitate the transfer and dissemination of good practices and lessons learned, and ensure integration at field level;
- In coordination with MHPSS, Medical and MEAL DDD departments, strengthen data collection practices and develop processes for enhancing MEAL component;
- Supervise the production of program quality guidelines and tools, its update and appropriation by field and technical staff;
- Under the management of the Syria Program Director, contribute to operational and strategic planning processes, and ensure that new strategic orientations are taken into consideration and are implemented by the team under your supervision;
- Support Syria Program Director in facilitating appropriate flow of information between technical staff (coordination, Antakya and field level) and field coordinators to ensure quality implementation of activities and integration across departments;
- Develop and propose communication and coordination mechanism to ensure strong communication flow between field staff, Antakya office and Istanbul Coordination.
- In coordination with MEAL Coordinator, Technical Departments and Field Coordinators, support data analysis on monthly basis and propose operational adjustments whenever it is required.
- In coordination with Technical Departments, support the design and follow-up of the capacity building plan of field staff and partners to enhance program quality and impact.
- Support Field Coordinators, HR Department and Istanbul Coordination to set-up trainings ensuring quality and cost effectiveness.
5.2 GRANTS MANAGEMENT (25%)
- Supervise Grants Manager to ensure delivery of proposal and reports as per DDD operational strategy and donors’ requirements;
- Contribute to the monthly report requirements (e.g. SITREP, ECHO monthly report, newsletter etc.) by providing relevant information related to programs and team’s activities;
- Facilitating coherent participation and contribution of field and technical departments in donor proposals and reports;
- Ensure that programmatic priorities are well integrated and reflected within grants.
5.3 PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT (15%)
- Oversee DDD’s efforts to improve transparency and accountability practices toward partner organizations, proposing different methods for gathering, analysing and responding to partner organizations’ feedback and suggestions to improve working in partnership.
- Ensure integration of partnership strategy into strategic and operational planning efforts, and development of DDD partnership approach for Syria;
- Identify existing partnership management mechanisms and tools, develop complementary tools and ensure dissemination and appropriation by the teams;
- Work in coordination with MEAL Coordinator and Grants Department to develop a monitoring system applicable for activities implemented by partners in line with internal and donor requirements.
- When requested, work together with Field Coordinators on partnership management efforts, including:
- Support Field Coordinators in drafting partnership agreements and modifications, acting as focal point within DDD for review and approval, and facilitate signature.
- Support Field Coordinators and Finance Department to ensure that partner budgets are reviewed and reinforced through training and support;
- Represent DDD with partners organizations, to ensure accordance with partnership agreement and agreed upon policies and procedures, including donor compliance (excluding logistics and financial compliance);
- Monitor and facilitate compliance of partner’s programs with donor and DDD requirements and raise issues affecting external/internal compliance to the Field Coordinators, Finance and Grants Department.
- Works closely with the Finance Department to ensure adequate follow up of financial commitments and compliance of partners.
- Draft memos and guidance documents and act as a resource for partners and for compliance related issues pertaining to partnerships.
5.4 TEAM MANAGEMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING (20%)
- Supervise HR management aspects for the staff under direct line management: respect of the Internal Regulation, recruitment of key staff positions, adaptation to the organizational chart and contribution to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.), training planning, appraisals, etc.;
- Ensure ongoing transfer of skills and knowledge to staff under line management by identifying and addressing capacity development needs and gaps;
5.5 REPRESENTATION (10%)
- Participate to cluster meetings at national and local level as required;
- Represent the organization with donors or other stakeholders as required;
- Liaise with operational and institutional partners at national level (INGOs & NGOs) upon request of line-managers;
- Participate to advocacy and communication operations run by the organization.
5.6 REPORTING (5%)
- Provide regular reporting on activities and progress to line managers upon solicitation (coordination meeting, workshop meetings, etc.);
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Expected profile
Education & Qualification
- Master or equivalent qualification in social science, political science, project management, international development preferred;
- Minimum 3 years of previous experience at similar or equivalent positions;
- Experience with in emergency contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector;
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing;
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.);
- Experience of security management at the field site level;
- Capacity building and training of local partners;
Skills and qualities required
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff);
- Experience in management of multi projects budgets;
- Knowledge of Saga is an asset;
- Ability to work under a minimum of supervision;
- Ability to take initiatives and responsibilities;
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations;
- Organised and ability to manage priorities;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office;
- Resilience to stress;
- Diplomacy and open-mindedness;
- Good analytical skills;
- Proactive approach to identifying solutions;
- Team spirit
- Sense of humour
- Willing to live and work in challenging conditions
- Required: Excellent command of English (oral and written);
- Desirable: Turkish, Arabic an added value
- How to apply:
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.