Program Medical Manager (PMM)-Afrin
||Fixed Term Contract
||Expected Starting date:
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Dünya Doktorları Derneği (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Afrin, with visits to Antakya in Turkey, the Program Medical Manager (PMM) will be directly supervised by the Field Coordinator, Afrin, North West Syria.
The PMM is supported technically by the Medical Coordinator based in Antakya.
He / She will directly supervise the PHC Medical Manager (Team leader), SRH consultant, CME Manager, Medical Supervisor, MHPSS Supervisor, Pharmacy Manager and Data Manager.
- Main Responsibilities
- Medical Project Management
- Team Management
- External Communications/representation to health cluster and partners.
- Other Duties
- Function Details
- Program Medical Manager shall directly manage and technically supervise the medical team; consistently monitor the healthcare situation of the project, together with the medical manager, MHPSS supervisor and partners’ medical focal person.
- Perform health need assessments, as requested, and contribute to the development/review/upgrade of the medical activities according to the needs.
- Collect data, indicators, surveys and assessments according to the mission’s needs, as requested by the MedCo, provide inputs and contribute to the epidemiological analysis.
- Responsible of the medical needs identifying at project level and prepare the medical order in coordination with mission pharmacist and under supervision of Medco;
- Together with the field coordinator, develop and supervise the medical lines of the project Budget; he/she will report any changes, under expenditure and over expenditure through the Budget Follow up monthly.
- Responsible to ensure that medical/clinical services are implemented in good quality; and according to the Association’s protocols.
- Together with the partners’ medical referents and pharmacist; closely follow and monitor the needs and the cooperation of the partners and identify relevance/gap of support provided by the Association.
- Propose any revision or update of medical protocols, service provision.
- Conduct field visits to project sites for direct implementation and partners according to the need and whenever requested by the coordination team.
- Provide continuous input to Coordination team to ensure that the different components of the program are consistent and in line with the health needs of the population.
- Contribute to the project proposals development in terms of needs, etc.
- Manage and supervise the medical team, including MHPSS. Delegate tasks when needed.
- Support the directly managed medical team in the management of the project activities/pharmacy/partners and the staff management.
- Evaluate the competency of the directly managed staff; build their capacity accordingly with the support and guidance of the field and medical coordination team.
- Organize the team annual leaves and plan for replacements.
- Identify the training needs of the medical and paramedical team, conduct trainings, follow up and evaluations.
- Jointly with the medical manager/referent; train the medical staff directly in the field or remotely based on the security context.
- Implement staff meetings and report to field/medical coordination.
- Participate in the recruitment process of the team.
- Report any HR issues to the line manager and resolve team conflicts by actively involving HR department.
- Maintain regular contacts with UN agencies and other medical NGOs and organizations, through meetings, training, workshops, etc.
- Collect data, indicators, surveys and assessments according to the Project’s needs; and provide inputs and contribute to analysis.
- Attend meetings related to health, representing DDD, and provide appropriate feed-back (minutes).
- Attend Technical team meetings and coordination team meetings.
- Instant information sharing with the line and technical manager on any context updates.
- Receive morbidity data of direct implemented services on weekly basis; review; analyse and submit to medical coordination team.
- Receive monthly reports from medical referents and pharmacists.
- Provide a monthly report to the field/Medical coordination, detailing activities done, supervision, training given, assessments undertaken etc.;
- Submit minutes of the staff meetings done with the teams.
- Report field visit feedbacks to the coordination team.
- Provide a yearly/semester medical reports on project achievements, developments and recommendations according to context and health situation.
- Report any security related issues to the Field Coordinator.
- Participation in assessments/service mapping, where and when necessary.
- Keep the team informed on any issues related to logistics needs for the medical teams in the field.
- Support operational organisation of field trips; and MDM and partners programs/activities.
- Translate verbally and by written when necessary.
- Participate to internal meetings.
- Any other related DDD tasks as assigned by supervisor/line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Medical Doctor
- Experience of more than two years in Humanitarian Project Management or similar positions.
- Valid passport.
- Ability to work quickly, under pressure, and with short deadlines
- Necessity to manage priorities and to adapt them according to the context.
- Ability to manage big medical teams
- Work autonomously with less supervision
- Remote management experience and emergency response
- Experience in hard negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in complex situations
Knowledge & Qualification
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability and capacity to take initiatives
- Good organizational skills.
- Good computer skills i.e. Office package
- Very good reporting skills.
- Very good communication skills.
- Time management skills
- 3-4 Years of related experience in similar context
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a must (English with very good speaking, writing and reading).
IT & Equipment
- Good proficiency with Microsoft package
Intellectual & Physical
- Good communication skills
Strategic and Long-Term Impact
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to give budgeting inputs based on the needs and future plans for the organisation.
- Have good sense of security awareness
General Qualities required:
- Flexibility and capacity of adapt to complex and changing contexts;
- Ability to work in an international context and collaborate with international and national experts;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
- Excellent delegation and team management skills.
- Excellent capacity building skills.
- Represent DDD in a very decent and respectful manner in any meeting or Infront of authorities
- Excellent negotiation skills with stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and understanding toward beneficiaries.
- Respect hierarchical communication flow
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.